Anxiety And Autism

 A few weeks ago, Solon and I returned from a vacation. It was the first time Solon had been so far from home. While he handled the trip well, for the most part, I could tell he was extremely anxious about something, or many things. This prompted me to do some research on anxiety, the different types there are and how it can affect those with autism. 

Phobias

As most of us know, a phobia is an intense and irrational fear of something that usually poses no actual danger. In autism, phobias can stem from being overly stimulated or overwhelmed. Loud noises, vacuums and other unexpected or uncomfortable noises can often cause anxiety. Likewise, normal childhood fears such as darkness or bugs can also be present and brought on by phobias. 

In our home, Solon is afraid of just about everything. Age has taught him how to handle it better to a certain degree. There are other phobias he has that he has not been able to take control of. While on vacation, Solon didn't want to get out of the car to stretch his legs or use the bathroom. I had the feeling he was afraid of being left behind or forgotten about. Coincidentally, that is also one of my fears as well. 

Separation Anxiety

All of us with children have dealt with separation anxiety at one time or another. Separation anxiety is when a person is afraid of separating from certain attachments such as parents or home. While this kind of anxiety is common in most children, autistic children can feel it more intensely. This behavior can cause parents to become over protective and promote children to become overly dependent on things that are familiar or important to them. 

Since Solon was a baby, I have been dealing with separation anxiety. He would wake up crying because I decided to shower. He would sit by my bedroom door and cry while I was getting dressed for the day. In fact, for years, all doors had to stay open and Solon had to have the ability to find me and touch me. In fact, the open door policy was in strong effect at my house until just a few years ago. While on vacation, Solon expressed his separation anxiety by not wanting to close any doors in the hotel room and making sure I was by his side at all times. When I wanted to leave the hotel to talk to my sister in the parking lot, Solon waited for me by the open door, anxiety clearly written all over his face. I began to understand he wasn't just afraid of being left behind. He was afraid that I may not be returning home with him. Once I was back inside with him for the evening, he was finally relaxed enough to play with his toys and watch television. 

Social Anxiety

Social anxiety is a fear that one might be treated negatively in a social situation. This behavior can lead to avoidance of social situations altogether. This limits a person's ability to practice their social skills and can often make them subject to negative comments from their peers and bullying. 

Solon's social skills are not where they should be. To his credit, this does not keep him from trying to socialize with others, especially with those he trusts. In fact, the happier Solon is, the more talkative he becomes. Because Solon still exhibits scripting behavior, much of what he says may not make much sense. Still, him willing to socialize despite his vocal disabilities shows what an outgoing child he really is. Social anxiety is also something I have suffer from as well. Honestly, it can be terrifying to have such an outgoing and friendly child. 

Anxiety is something I have dealt with my whole life. Dealing with this disorder has also helped me recognize it in Solon. My experiences with anxiety has helped me not only deal with Solon's anxiety, but help him face his fears and overcome them. It has been a learning experience for both of us. 

I found these anxiety types and others here: https://adaa.org/learn-from-us/from-the-experts/blog-posts/consumer/anxiety-autism-spectrum-disorder. Please check it out if you want to learn more about anxiety and the different types. 

If you haven't done so already, please subscribe to my blog and follow me. I really appreciate your support. If you have found this helpful or have anything you'd like to share, please leave a comment. 

As always, stay positive - Jen


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to The Puzzle Piece

Let's Think Positive!

Happy New Year!!!